Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Response to How the Garcia Girls Lost their Accents

This book is extremely confusing. I've noticed that I started falling asleep while reading, I try very hard to stay awake so I am constantly moving so I probably look a little crazy.

The more I read the less intrigued I am, but there is this certain thing that just holds me and keeps my attention. There is this certain undetermined factor that just keeps me reading. This is baffling because I don't necessarily enjoy the book. It's written in a very interesting manner, out of order, reverse chronological order with multiple perspectives. That is pretty intense. Some parts of this book are just...not what I am accustomed to. The youngest daughter shoved her tongue into her fathers ear and nibbled on his ear-while he was blind folded-for a game her family was playing. Gina brought up that Sophia and her father might have had a "different" relationship, this is just a theory because we have no evidence to back it up, yet. Annie brought up another point that later in the book Sophia's mother tried to hide her success from her husband, so there seems to be a lot of under lying messages that are yet to be found.

This book has a lot of sex, but it's not upfront. So, I'm left thinking I have a dirty mind. Thankfully we had a class discussion and I am not the only one thinking there is underlying sex everywhere. It's just kind of there. This book might be so intriguing because of the preshadowing used in the book. I know that the book flows in a reverse chronological fashion so it leaves me wondering how the characters ended up the way they did. Especially Sophia, I know that Yolanda is the "main" character but Sophia just seems like there is much more than one would expect, but her relationship with her father is worrisome.

As for what is going to happen, I don't have a clue. I am barely comprehending the current events let alone what has happened in the past. I think that Julia Alvarez enjoys messing with peoples minds if so, she is very good at it. I feel like what she wants us to think is right infront of us but I'm looking in the complete other direction. I guess only time will tell how I end up feeling about the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment