Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Final Response to Garcia Girls

Well, this book was extremely confusing. In the beginning I didn't really care about anyone and didn't think too much of it. By the end I still wasn't into it, but I started liking some of the characters.

Personally I think this book was written as some sort of a diary. It seemed extremely personal but disguised as a story. Alverez, said to be the character Yolanda, had major issues with sex and sex was the main underlying theme through out the entire book. So, I'm guessing there was some abuse in her life. I also think that this book was written for people from the ages of twenty-seven to thirty-five. These may seem like random numbers, they are, but they seem to be true. Especially because Mr. Sutherland fits this standard and enjoyed the book.

I admit to not being fair to this book, I didn't give it my full attention and skimmed through it a lot. This probably wasn't the best idea because the book is known to be a difficult read and confusing. I probably didn't give it the credit it deserved.

Sometime later in life I will probably reread it-preferably when I am of the ages twenty-seven to thirty-one-and will probably have a better understanding of it. In the group discussion this was agreed on, but the rebuttal was that as teenagers we have certain ideas that only pertain to our age group. I do think this is revenant and very understandable, but I also think that it is harder for us to relate to such complex material.

Overall this wasn't that horrible of a book. I actually liked parts of it. Some of the messages were not understood and fulling relating to each character is close to imposible, especially for our age group. One thing that I didn't understand was if these were all here memories but said from different perspectives or if these were the memories from her family members and loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment