Tuesday, November 9, 2010

How the Gracia Girls Lost their Accents Response 2

I think that How the Garcia Girls Lost their Accents is rather boring. Not saying it is not good, it just is not very interesting to me. The only character I care for is Sophia. This is because she is a bit of a wild child but she does accept responsibility for her actions. When pot was discovered by the maid-thinking it was oregano-in the four girl's room, Sophia took the blame even though none of them were innocent. I did discuss the novel with Mr. Sutherland for a different perspective than a student forced to read it. He actually really enjoyed it and had just about the opposite reaction of many students. I found this very interesting. I wondered if it was his teacher training or if it was just a more mature outlook on the book, but his words did give me hope for a more interesting ending for the book.

One of the reasons I thought that the students don't enjoy the novel as much as Mr. Sutherland is because of how split our attention has to be. Ever night students are assigned homework and just by having a life our attention has to be focused on many topics. One of my personal problems with this book is that it is the last thing I do. Once I'm in bed and all I want to do is sleep, that is when I read, so it makes it just that much harder to concentrate. I was also thinking that the novel might not be what students are looking for in a story. After reading Night we might have expected something that spoke to us and really made us think and question many things. Granted we chose the book by vote, we still didn't really know what we were getting into. I will honestly admit that I chose the book by the cover. The title looked interesting, the picture was enticing, and the little blurb on the back made it sound like a really really good book. The book is actually a good book if you really think about it, it just wasn't what I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment